Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Finally licensed & settled

Man it has been a while since I wrote anything. I have given up on this blog so many times, and then decided to come back to it. A large reason for this is that I don't know what I want it to "be." Private journal? Open it up to friends? I decided that at this point I'm going to quit giving a shit and just write.

Today I am feeling very thankful that I am not in that anxious place from 2 posts ago: Looking for a job and studying for the EPPP (the beast of an exam for licensure in psychology that ruled my life for the better portion of a year).

As I looked forward to my trip to Kauai, my friends convinced me that Kauai would be much more enjoyable if I had the EPPP behind me. They said that I would love Kauai so much I wouldn't even worry about my results. As usual, my friends were ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!! I studied with the manic frenzy of a squirrel collecting fallen nuts before winter. I tried to make it a good experience: I took flashcards to the local pond & watched baby ducks as I committed useless facts (only half kidding) to memory. Then in an event that I can only describe as "hazy" I sat for the test. Two days later I left for Kauai.

The trip was fantastic. I went with 3 of my favorite people on earth: Kat (grad school friend), Paul (her husband) and Pat (my love). I only thought of the test a few times, and thanks to Kat's positive influence most of my thoughts were around the idea that I had to have passed. Also, I had already landed my job--and they were cool with knowing that I was studying for the test and hadn't set a date to take it. In short, they would have provided me with supervision in the event that I hadn't taken the test (or, God forbid, failed it). This period of time provided me with ample opportunity to face my fears of not being "good enough." I came to realize that there was this big part of me that just couldn't believe I had finally gotten to where I wanted to be for so many years. I had internalized the voice of naysayers.

A week after returning from Kauai, I got my passing results in an e-mail. I made the announcement to my family, my friends, my incredibly supportive supervisors, and my verbally abusive supervisor (God did that feel good). I made mental note to myself that I should not skip down the halls. Nobody likes a poor winner.

In another rush of activity, I packed my bags for a move to Spokane and began my new job. In my first week I headed to the Seattle area to take my state exam. I passed it and my license came in the mail a few short weeks later.

So here I sit--licensed, employed, and somewhat settled. The house is unpacked, I've found a local gym, and Pat & I have already come across potential friends. It seems the majority of young professionals in town are married and have kids, so that is limiting to a couple with (a) no intention of getting married in the next 12 months, and (b) no intention of spawning in the next 3 years. Nonetheless, things are looking good.

, Big plans for the future? I'm stealing an idea from Sharron, a friend from grad school. She mentioned that she's never read Jane Austen's "Pride & Prejudice," and that this is a "must" before fulfilling her goal of reading "Pride & Prejudice & Zombies," which of course is a must before watching the movie.


It seems that there has been some trouble with production, so I'm sure I will have plenty of time to fulfill this goal. It is really nice to have time for pleasure reading again. It is also nice to finally want to read again.

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea you had a blog! I'm so excited to keep up w/it...I've already added you to my list! Congrats again on all your wonderful accomplishments!

    I just checked out Pride & Prejudice and Zombies from the library last night. As well as Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. I felt like getting in the holiday spirit! We'll have to compare notes after finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lynda! As you can see, I'm not great at updating it. But I'm going to try to post a little more frequently. :)

    Pat just bought me P&P and Zombies for Christmas. I still need to finish Pride & Prejudice...so it will be a bit before I can compare notes. I got caught up with a few other great books!

    ReplyDelete