Thursday, January 27, 2011

The last year of my 20's.

Last week started out terribly. I avoided griping about it (at least, here...perhaps not to my friends & family) because everything that happened was pretty insignificant. But it turned around and ended up being a great week.

I'm going to be verbose from this point forward, so if you'd like the cliffnotes, here you are:

-Birthday full of love
-Office pinic surprise from boyfriend
-Easy fix to a laptop I thought would cost a fortune
-Mild week at the office

And for everyone else, read on!

I celebrated my birthday last week! I'm welcoming the last year of my 20's with arms wide. Aging has been really put into perspective by seeing my grandmother turn 80 and talk about feeling young...aside from "not being able to do quite so much (physically)." I'm not really dreading my 30's in the way that many people do. Some of this might have to do with my work: Several times this year parents and faculty have said to me, "You don't look old enough to be a doctor." When I told my grandmother this she recommended that I get glasses. I told her that 10 years would take care of this "problem."

My birthday was a slow one at work. Pat treated me to one of my favorite dinners (I'm easy to buy for--I wanted veggie pizza) and then took me to a place we've never been to in Spokane (Wild Sage). It was wonderful!!

We both had the huckleberry strudle and fell into bed with sugar comas shortly thereafter. They had a beautiful and tasty drink that used lavander-infused vodka (I've never had a drink with lavander-infused vodka that I didn't like). The atmosphere was beautiful and our waiter was handsome, not tattooed, didn't have acne, was over 30, and was plesant. Perhaps these all seem like strange evaluative statements to make about waitstaff, but we have found since living in Spokane that many wait staffers leave a lot to be desired.


I opened cards and gifts from family and friends, and went to work the next day with my boyfriend's promise of "a surprise lunch." I figured that we were going to try a new resturant close to campus, so I finished on time with my client and turned around to grab my coat just in time to see him standing in the door with a picnic basket. I had been sad that picnic season is so far out--Spokane has great parks and I can hardly wait to explore them and take a basket full of fruit and baguettes and cheese...now I don't have to.

Later in the day he took my laptop to a local shop for diagnostics. Best Buy had glanced at it and said that it would probably cost $300 and something terrible was going on. The local guys sold us a new power cord--problem solved. I was so happy!! The only place worse than a mechanic for a woman to go and get screwed over is a computer store. I get caught like a deer in headlights and because of this have bought 3--yes THREE--new computers in the past decade after seeing a blue screen of death. It goes something like--"Sorry, Miss, but this computer is going to cost more to fix than it would be to buy a new one." And then me--"Oh mister computer man, thank you for delivering this terrible news to me with a trustworthy smile. Please show me to the sales department." I will not be fooled again!!

For my first "while I'm 29" project I contacted a financial advisor to consult about student loan debt. I set a budget that I feel good about and found out that in the world of finance I am doing A-okay.

My friend Sharon has a blog all about being 29 and the changes that she plans to make. Friends made promises to her "before Sharon turns 30 I will....x, y, z" and now she has a year full of adventures planned. I love this idea and hope to write a before-30 "bucket list" of sorts. It will need to have things other than "get my shit together financially, eat organic, be active, score a promotion," etc. I would like to return to having fun and being playful. I remember that those things came naturally before grad school, and I want them back.

What I can say about my 20's thus far is this: I became a Doctor. My heart was shattered, and then I met the love of my life. I made friends who moved all over the world and are still close to my heart. I learned that I am strong and independent, and that I can make a home anywhere. I learned that I can be (and am) a runner and a yogi.

The "before 30 bucket list" is soon to come!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait for the list. I've got to say, I'm kind of loving 30.

    ReplyDelete