Friday, March 25, 2011

A Yoga Miracle

Last Thursday after yoga a woman approached me with a request for a "yoga support buddy." We had been in our intro class together (back in October) but she was forced to take a break for a little over a month on the request of her physical therapist. She was happy to see a familiar face. There is enough variety in class times and type, and in traffic at the studio that it isn't uncommon to recognize but not "know" anybody.

Just that morning I had been telling a coworker that this is the least friendly city I've lived in for the past decade. I've tried to be friendly, but I don't get much back. In my last hometown my neighbor became one of my best friends. Prior to that (Beaverton OR) my neighbor gifted me with brand new moving boxes when she found out I was short on funds and let me know they would miss both myself and my friendly cat. And prior to that (Washougal WA) my neighbor invited me over to make gingerbread houses with she and her 5-year-old granddaughter. But it's not just my neighbors in this city, it seems like it's everyone I've come across. This is a very insular town with many native residents who have their established groups of friends and don't seem interested in expanding. Especially if you're not really into hanging out at bars.

Yoga is such a personal practice that I never considered the possibility of making friends at the shala. In fact, as I was walking away with this woman's number the feeling of joy I had ("OH YAY! A FRIEND!") quickly wore off and was replaced by: "Oh God, is she going to expect to talk before and after class? Is she going to want to be in all the same classes?" But the truth is that I have really come to love Ashtanga, and it might be really nice to have a friend who is invested in the practice, as well. Here is hoping that she's not a loony toon.

No comments:

Post a Comment